Contact Us

Type your name!.

Type your email address!.Invalid email format.



Enter security code above.

submitting this indicates you understand the disclaimer


Follow Us Daily
Facebook Twitter YouTube

Application for Citizenship (N-400)

Application for Citizenship (N-400)


Whether you want to permanently adopt the United States as your home, or simply want to expedite the process for bringing beloved family members to join you here, obtaining U.S. Citizenship is a monumental accomplishment. An experienced immigration lawyer in the Washington, DC metro area (DMV) can help you navigate the sometimes-complicated path to citizenship with these goals in mind.

Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who meet certain criteria are eligible to apply for United States Citizenship. To apply for U.S. Citizenship you must be at least 18 years old and 1) have been a Permanent Resident of the United States for at least 5 years; or 2) have been a Permanent Resident of the United States for at least 3 years, and be married to and living with an American Citizen spouse for at least 3 years, and your U.S. Citizen spouse has been a citizen for at least 3 years. These are the two most common bases for citizenship eligibility. In addition, the applicant must demonstrate that he or she has demonstrated “good moral character” for at least a 5 year period prior to filing the N-400.

One further requirement, often under-estimated by naturalization applicants, is the ability to pass both an English and a Civics examination. Many an LPR who has met all of the criteria for U.S. Citizenship has been denied citizenship because they fail the English test, the Civics test, or both. Preparing for these tests is very important if you are serious about becoming a U.S. Citizen.

The citizenship application can be confusing and complicated, and providing all the required information is crucial to getting a citizenship interview. Moreover, applicants with criminal histories or other issues that may affect their eligibility face additional obstacles. Seeking help from a immigration lawyer in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia with experience in completing and filing citizenship applications may help your chances of becoming part of the American Dream.